Board of Equalization
Effective May 18, 2020, the Jackson County Board of Equalization office in the Jackson County Courthouse at 415 E. 12th Street in Kansas City will reopen to the public. In an effort to help mitigate the spread of the COVID-19 virus any contact or business that you wish to conduct with the County can be done in person, by phone, email, or regular mail. Regarding all appeal scheduling, the cases on the docket will be conducted by telephone only. Taxpayers needing assistance from the Board of Equalization can email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 816-881-3309.
RE: Monthly Board Procedural Meetings Effective April 1
Any items on the Agenda may be addressed at the meeting in a manner authorized by the Board of Equalization’s Rules and Procedures. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are taking action to minimize attendance at the monthly procedural meetings of the Jackson County Board of Equalization. Physical attendance is not essential and is not permitted. You can access audio at the time of the meeting by dialing 888 398-2342, Access Code 8640172
During this time of health emergency, we will also be prudent with our business agenda, deferring action when feasible. Our monthly procedural meetings are to discuss and act on internal BOE business, and generally we do not accept public comments or questions on matters not related to agenda items. As we are meeting virtually during this emergency period, we will not accept public comments or questions on any matters.
- The County Executive appoints 3 members to serve overlapping 3-year terms.
- The County Executive appoints 1 member from the unincorporated area to serve a 1-year term where
propertyin question is located in an unincorporated area.
- One member is appointed by the mayor of the municipality to serve a 1-year term where
propertyin question is located.
- One member is appointed by the school board of the school district to serve a 1-year term where
propertyin question is located.
- The County Executive designates the Chairperson.
- Board members are residents of the County and hold no other County office.
|Christopher R. Smith - Chairman||May. 18, 2018||Dec. 31, 2019|
|Marilyn M. Shapiro - Vice Chair||Jan. 03, 2018||Dec. 31, 2020|
|Forestine A. Beasley - Member||Mar. 06, 2019||Dec. 31, 2021|
Independent Body Performing State-Mandated Functions
- Board of Equalization Appeals
- Chapter 137 and 138 Revised Statutes of Missouri
- Resolution Order Setting Deadline for Filing Late Appeal Request For 2019 Reassessment Cycle Appeals
- Resolution Order Setting Deadline for Filing Late Appeal Request For 2020 Reassessment Cycle Appeals
- Resolution Order Extending Appeal Hearing Schedule to October 30, 2020 For 2019 Reassessment Cycle Appeals
- Resolution Order Extending Appeal Hearing Schedule to October 30, 2020 For 2020 Assessment Cycle Appeals
- Resolution Order Extending Appeal Filing Deadline to September 11, 2020 For Certain Business Personal Property Accounts/Parcels Only
- How do I obtain the county’s market value?
- Will I be notified if there is an increase in my assessment?
- How often is my property assessed?
- If I am not satisfied with the valuation assessed by the County Assessor, how do I contest it?
- How do I appeal the market value on my property to the Board of Equalization?
- What is the deadline to file an appeal to the Board of Equalization?
- How do I know when my warranty deed has been recorded?
- If I purchased my property after the filing deadline; do I have any recourse to file an appeal with the Board?
- What documentation is needed when filing an appeal on newly purchased property?
- If I am not satisfied with the Board’s decision is that final or can I appeal their decision?