Obtaining a Marriage License

You can obtain a marriage license at 

Historic Truman Courthouse
Recorder of Deeds Department
112 W Lexington Ave.
Suite 30
Independence, MO 64050
Phone: 816-881-4608

Office Hours

Our office is open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., except for legal holidays.

Statutory Requirements

  • Both parties must appear together at the Recorder of Deeds office.
  • Both must be at least 18 years old to marry without parental consent. If either applicant is 16 or 17 years of age, please click here.
  • Both must provide their Social Security numbers. (No SSN card is required.)
  • Both must have proper identification, please click here.
  • Note: If either applicant is divorced or widowed, applicant(s) must provide the month/year the last marriage ended.

Application Process

A marriage application will need to be completed prior to issuance of your license. The application can be completed either:
  • During your visit at our office, or to save you time
  • On line, please click here.

License Fees

The fee for a marriage license is $50, please click here.

Special Reminder

Once a Marriage License is issued to a couple, the marriage ceremony must be held within the State of Missouri within 30 days of issuance. If not performed within 30 days the couple will need to return the unused license and/or apply for a new license, pay new license fees, etc.

Performing a Ceremony

Once you leave our office you will need to select a Marriage Officiant to solemnize your marriage.

Per Missouri Revised Statutes Section 451.100 the following are eligible to solemnize a marriage:
  • Marriages may be solemnized by any clergyman, either active or retired, who is in good standing with any church or synagogue in this state.
  • Marriages may also be solemnized, without compensation, by any judge, including a municipal judge.
  • Marriages may also be solemnized by a religious society, religious institution, or religious organization of this state, according to the regulations and customs of the society, institution or organization, when either party to the marriage to be solemnized is a member of such society, institution or organization.

After the Ceremony

Once the marriage ceremony is completed the minister or judge will sign and return the Marriage License to the Jackson County Recorder of Deeds Department within 15 days of the ceremony. The License will be retained by the Department for record preservation. Once returned “Certified Copies” of the license can then be obtained from our offices.

Although the Marriage License is preserved by the Department, the minister or judge will provide the couple with a completed “Marriage Certificate.” Though “unofficial” for legal purposes, the Marriage Certificate does serve as a memorable “keepsake” that can be retained by the couple for their wedding records, wedding album, etc.