Searching Public Records

Searching Records Options
Telephone searches are not conducted. A records search can be conducted online or by visiting or sending a request to either the Recorder of Deeds' two offices (addresses and phones listed at bottom of page). Records prior to 1964 are not yet online and can be accessed in only two ways: by coming to one of Recorder offices or by written request. The data for real estate recordings from January 1, 1961, to the present is available in both offices and online.

Receiving Assistance
Representatives in the Recorder of Deeds Department are available to assist you in obtaining copies of recorded documents, marriage licenses and Uniform Commercial Code filings. They can aid you in search for documents through instructions in using Department indexes, microfilm viewers and our PC On-line Search System. Instructions are limited to 10 minutes.

Please Note
A Department representative's function is to aide you in your search. State law prohibits employees from making assessments or judgments pertaining to the current status of a property title. They are unable to discern whether or not there are encumbrances of any sort, including liens, mortgages and foreclosures, on a piece of land. However, they may still assist you in your search through our public access terminals, and you may purchase copies of any documents you find.

Copy Services
Copy services are provided upon payment of statutory fees. For that reason, requests for searches of our records cannot be provided over the telephone, via fax or email. Your requests can be sent to the Independence or Kansas City office, and they should include the information requested along with your return address. You may, but are not required to, submit a self-addressed stamped envelope. Please indicate the name and phone number of someone to contact in the event that our Copy Desk has a question.