Clerk of the County Legislature
In order to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, Notary Commissions and other services provided by the County Clerk’s Office will be by appointment only.
Please note: The Clerk of the County Legislature or “County Clerk’s” office is not affiliated with the Jackson County Circuit Court - 16th Judicial Circuit of Missouri, and therefore cannot respond to inquiries regarding the court system, court dates, court decisions, etc. Kindly direct Court related questions to the 16th Judicial Circuit of Missouri at 16thcircuit.org.
ATTENTION: COVID 19 Procedures for Notary Commissions and services provided by the County Clerk’s Office:
- Missouri $10,000 Notary Bond is required to schedule an appointment. Notary Bond dates must correspond to the Notary Commission dates.
- For appointments at the Independence Office located at 201 W. Lexington, 2nd Floor, please call 816-881-1626. Please leave a message and your call will be returned as soon as possible.
- For appointments at the Kansas City Office, located at 415 E. 12th Street, 2nd Floor, please call 816-881-3242. Please leave a message and your call will be returned as soon as possible.
- Notary swearing-in fee is $5.00 cash (exact change) or check only.
- The Clerk’s Office notarizes documents by appointment only. The cost is $5.00 per notary signature. Absentee ballots are notarized at no cost. See phone numbers above to schedule an appointment.
For additional questions related to notary requirements, please contact the Missouri Secretary of State at (573) 751-4936 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Public visitors seeking in person services are required to wear a mask and practice social distancing. Additionally, requests for information or appointments can be emailed to email@example.com.
2020 Elections: The final day to withdraw from the August 4, 2020 Primary election was May 19, 2020. The final day to withdraw from the November 3, 2020 General election was August 18, 2020. If you need to withdraw, please make an appointment with Mary Jo Spino, Clerk of the County Legislature at 816-881-3240 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional 2020 Election information may be found here.
As stated in the Jackson County Charter, the Clerk provides the Legislature with administrative, research and support staff services. She attends Legislative meetings, keeping a record of the proceedings and maintaining other permanent records for the County.
The Jackson County Legislature is required to hold at least 48 regular meetings each year as stated in the Charter of Jackson County, Missouri.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, legislative meetings for 2021 will be held in the Kansas City Legislative Assembly Area until further notice. See schedule below.
The first, third, fourth, and fifth Monday of the month, Legislative meetings are held at:
Kansas City Legislative Assembly Area
Jackson County Courthouse
415 E 12th Street
Kansas City, Missouri, 64050
The second Monday of the month, meetings are held at:
Eastern Jackson County Courthouse
308 W Kansas
Independence, Missouri, 64050
2021 Legislative Meetings Schedule
The County Clerk also processes candidate filings for the County elected offices.
Notary Public Applications
Furthermore, the County Clerk is responsible for notary public applicants in Jackson County, Missouri. The Clerk of the County Legislature often referred to as the County Clerk has two offices at which notary public applicants can appear to pick up their commission.