Dept. of Corrections Capital Improvements Updates
Under the leadership of County Executive Frank White, Jr., and the County Legislature great strides have been made toward improving conditions at the Jackson County Detention Center. Target areas include: infrastructure and maintenance; safety and security for staff and inmates; training and wages for Corrections Officers. After years of deferred maintenance, the County Executive is determined to be effective and efficient to get the job done right.
- Sliding Cell Doors: Repaired 488 sliding cell doors at a cost of $2,876,423.00. Start date was April 14, 2016 with completion by July 15, 2017.
- Electronic Key Control: Electronic key control system to store and restrict access to keys at a cost of $31,247. Delivered on January 27th and installed on March 21, 2017.
- Re-Key Locks: Re-key 150 doors parts purchased at a cost of $13,991. Delivered November 28, 2016.
- Waste Stack Replacement: Project completed March 9, 2017 at a cost of $57,757.
- Cell Interior Light Retrofits: Completed on June 6, 2017 at a cost of $18,000. Project consisted of installing 530 night light covers.
- 1315 Locust-Exterior Doors: Completed – Replace entry doors, add magnetic locks on inner entry doors and enhance security features for Sheriff’s Office at a cost of $34,968.
- HOK – Click here to view report.
- Polycoms: Video Court Monitoring System - Replace two polycoms. Completed and tested August 10, 2017.
- Southern Folger Service Agreement: Annual service level agreement for master control. Estimated annual cost of $17,000.
- Radio Communications: Replace 34 analog radios with digital. Radios were delivered and programmed by vendor at a cost of $20,000.
- Cell Pods Cleaned: Cell Pods cleaned and painted.
- Preventative Maintenance recommended by Southern Folger: Report recommended a list of 16 items that immediate attention pertaining to the electrical panels, wiring and fans.
- Steam Stations: The main valves controlling the incoming steam. Valves have not been operating properly which allows steam to bypass safely. Three new valves, flanges and pilots were installed by facilities.
- Cameras: UPS Power Back-up: UPS devices that provide power back-up during short-term outages. Currently have three devices at a unit price of $387.51. Need an additional eight to 12 units to cover entire facility. Funding needed is $3,100 to $4,650
- Monthly Generator Inspections: Central Power performing monthly inspections, annual cost $13,000.
- Fire Alarm Testing: KCMO testing of all alarms took place on January 31 with re-inspection on March 15. Five deficiencies were identified, all have been fixed. Total cost $30,104.32
- Inmate Transport & Security Services: for transport of inmates to court, prison or medical appointments. Continuing service with Security Transport Services after attempting to secure other bids. Only responding bidder was significantly higher than current $1,799/week.
- Dock door: Door replaced after being damaged in accident in August 2017. Cost: $24,000
- Sally Port Floor Drains: Drains have been shored up so vehicles can drive over them. Cost: $15,000
- G Pod Thermostats: Thermostats were relocated from inmate area to stairways in the RCC. Cost: $2,300
- Associate Uniforms/Inmate Clothing: $88,670 for officer uniforms and $41,330 for inmate clothing has been approved.
- Fence in Workout Area: fence has been installed, cost $4,654
- Additional Polycoms: The purchase of three additional polycoms and testing completed.
- Associate Locker Room/Med Housing Renovation: The men’s and women’s locker rooms have been renovated. Demo ceiling, lockers, flooring, install new ceiling, paint, polish floors, install new lockers, install wrap in showers and install new lights. Seal floor/wall joints and install electronic flush valves on second floor above locker room areas.
- Emergency Egress Improvements: project completed 4/20/18 for $45,939.
- Supply Water Line replacement: project completed 5/4/2018 for $4,240.
- Jail Server Room Improvements-Phase I: Completed 5/8/2018 for $13,380.
- Secured Parking Concrete Repairs: $92,110
- Generator Audit - Includes Jail Server Room, Complex: $9,600
- Fire Suppression Audit: Annex, ARJC and CJB/RCC, $25,982
- Emergency Light Fixtures Audit: CJB/RCC, $15,000
- Med Housing Improvements above Locker Rooms: Tower, $190,451
- Generator Improvements: Includes Jail Server Room, Complex, $4,195
- Kitchen Flooring, Annex: $141,849
Additional Services for Kitchen Flooring: $6,942
Additional Services for Kitchen - Paint, Etc: $2,500
Additional VCT Flooring in Breakroom/Restroom: $2,863
- Swing Cell (hinge) Doors - Tower: $173,715
- Corridor Sliding Doors - Tower: $939,170
- Removal of Existing Exterior Camera (Electrical) - Complex: $5,000
- Generator Load Testing - Includes Jail Server Room, Complex: $8,410
- Food Prep Equipment, Annex: $141,801
Additional Services for Food Prep Equip (Electrical): $19,367
Additional Services for Food Prep Equip (V Hoods): $8,000
- Kitchen Steam Station Repairs, Annex: $38,000
- Increased pay and added 12 hour shifts January 2016
- Created career paths for Corrections Officers
- Increased the number of total officer training hours from 8,469 hours in 2015 to 15,899 hours in 2016
- Contracted with a new food vendor to offer healthier food menu choices in the cafeteria
- Remodeled the Records Department including new leadership in the department
- Hired five new Corrections managers with more than 100 years of combined corrections experience. Four of the five come from accredited correction facilities
- Revamped pre-service training to meet ACA levels
- Added review of oversight of the use of force process and compartmentalized department discipline to be firm, fair and consistent
- Increased inmate health service funding by $1 million each year since 2015
- Hired an additional ten nurses and behavioral health staff
- Expanded security in the intake area
PROJECTS IN PROGRESS
- Negative Pressure Rooms: Areas used to house patients with respiratory illness. Designed to prevent airborne pathogens from entering other areas. Estimated cost of $100,000
- CO Security Equipment: Walk-through metal detector and x-ray equipment, body orifice scanning chair, security equipment and CO supplies. Funded at the cost of $108,184
- Inmate Pay Telephone Services: Three year contract signed with Securus Technologies on September 28, 2017