Within Jackson County, there are approximately 296,000 real property accounts; 310,000 individual personal property accounts and 25,000 business personal property accounts. All personal property accounts are reassessed annually through declaration forms,
The result of this process is to set the assessed valuation of property in Jackson County. Such assessed valuation and levies set by Jackson County and other tax authorities, like cities and school districts, are used to calculate the property taxes that fund those taxing authorities.
Natural DisasterIn the event of a Natural Disaster like the weather damage that occurred in areas of Jackson County on March 7, 2017, some homeowners who have had their homes seriously damaged or destroyed may be eligible for a Removal of Residential Dwelling Value from Assessment of Real Estate.
If this recent weather event has damaged your home to the extent that it cannot currently be occupied, as a homeowner, you can petition to have the value of your home reduced or removed, beginning on April 1, 2017 and until such time as the home can be safely reoccupied. Simply complete this and return it to the address within.
To qualify for this assistance the home must be un-inhabitable and/or completely destroyed. The program is not available to you if your home has been damaged but is still in livable condition nor is this program available for commercial property.
Real property (more commonly referred to as real estate) includes residential property, commercial
Personal property includes individual personal property and business personal property.
State Statute Dictates How Vehicle Values Are Assessed
In accordance with Missouri law, the Jackson County Assessment Department uses National Automobile Dealers' Association (NADA) guidelines to assess vehicle property values.
- Application for Personal Property Tax Exemption Form (Revised 2009) (PDF)
- Business Personal Property: Request for Mailing and/or Situs Address Change (PDF)
- Disabled POW Real Property Tax Exemption (PDF)
- Individual Personal Property Tax Account Mailing Address Change Form (PDF)
- Individual Personal Property Tax Location Address (Situs) Change Form (PDF)
- Name Change Form (PDF)
- Natural Disaster Application (PDF)
- Personal Property Tax Exemption (PDF)
- Real Estate Mailing Address Change Form (PDF)
- Real Property Tax Exemption (PDF)
- Real Property Tax Exemption Instructions (PDF)